Thursday, May 20, 2010

Zone 5 plants gardening question?

I live in Missouri and I think its zone 5


We have successfully planted elephant ears (thye were beautiful last summer) and extra large....well its that time a year again and we are looking to trim our property line Well I found some tropical palms that I absolutely would love to plant but im unsure if they will withstand the weather here. We are beginners at this gardening so we need advice before we start buying plants. We would like to plant them in the ground in the spring and then remove themm before winter but Im concerned that eventually we wont be able to get them in to the house here is a link to the one's I would like to have.





http://cgi.ebay.com/3-GOLDEN-Cane-Palm-P...





Would someone with knowledge in gardening please advice if this is not a good idea to use these palms, also does anyone know of a site that I can search for the plants I can use in Missouri


Thank you

Zone 5 plants gardening question?
Here is the link the USDA zone map to find the correct zone for your area %26lt; I live in western Montana and it's 5a here%26gt;:


http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzma...


Once you are sure that you have the correct zone, check the temperatures given against what you know yours are. If you are in an especially warm or cold spot for your area, you need to take that into account. Another consideration is soil type. What I remember of my short visit, passing through Missouri, the state has good loam, by and large and it is acidic, which is good for hardwood, deciduous trees. Is that how your area is? I do not know about tropical palms. I would guess from what I have seen is that they need good


drainage, lots of sand, for instance.





Here is a page with the requirements for this palm, also called "butterfly palm":


http://www.ornamentalworld.com/Guide2.as...
Reply:i wouldnt plant palms in missouri it gets to cold 4 them go to sunsets new western garden book 4 advice good luck with your gardening it is fun when you get results


No comments:

Post a Comment