Saturday, May 22, 2010

Propagating a house plant - root in water? Or soil?

I have a plant, I think it's a type of Elephant Ear. It didn't get watered enough all last year and so it kept dropping its bottom leaves. Now the thing is 2 feet tall, all stem with two little leaves on top. I can see that it really wants to survive but the stalk is dangerously close to breaking and it does look pretty strange. I thought maybe I could take a cutting soon and replant the baby.





I think I know where to cut it, but I'm not sure whether to stick it in a glass of water, OR use root hormone and THEN stick it in a glass of water, OR use root hormone and plant directly in soil, OR avoid the root hormone and just plant in soil.





Any clues?

Propagating a house plant - root in water? Or soil?
I get the best results with root hormone and following the directions on the bottle. Remember to not dip the stem into the bottle b/c you might spread bacteria, fungus, nasty stuff into the bottle and spread it to other plants. Learned that from Martha Stewart....
Reply:EE's like wet feet. You can't clone from a leaf. You can separate the rhisomes. EEs will send out runners that will grow happily in water for months or can be planted in soil. They can be quite invasive.


No comments:

Post a Comment